Ladders have been utilized for centuries as a way to allow people to reach up higher. A ladder can also be quite dangerous to use, especially inside your home.
Step ladders are perfectly suited to remaining in your home on a daily basis to assist you in almost any task from reaching a high cupboard or for cleaning.
Selecting the Best Step Ladders in June, 2020
| (Editor’s Choice) |
1. Little Giant 10310BA
43.1 x 21.9 x 4.9 inches
Little Giant Ladder Systems
|2. Cosco Rockford Series|
19.6 x 17.9 x 32.5 inches
| (Editor’s Choice) |
3. Louisville Ladder FS1504
7 x 19 x 50 inches
|4. Little Giant Flip-N-Lite|
74.8 x 21.2 x 5.2 inches
Little Giant Ladder Systems
|5. LivingSURE 354173|
32 x 21 x 66 inches
|6. LivingSURE 347701-4325|
14.8 x 10.2 x 19 inches
|7. Rubbermaid RM-SLA3-T|
19.7 x 3.5 x 56 inches
|8. Werner 150B|
14 x 12.7 x 10.3 inches
|9. Winsome Wood 94022|
15 x 18.5 x 21.5 inches
|10. Polder 90401-91H|
3 x 1 x 8 inches
1. Little Giant Safety Step Ladder 10310BA : All Around Favorite Option
The step ladder has been crafted from lightweight space-grade aluminum, which is both easy to lift and move while being extremely durable and sturdy.
Our testing team loved that it can be easily opened with just one hand, which comes in handy when working alone or dealing with messy projects.
2. Cosco Two Step Rockford Wood Step Stool 11254MGY1 : Most Aesthetically Pleasing Option
The steps measure up to 13 inches by 19 inches, allowing you to have enough room to feel steady and uncramped during use.
3. Louisville Ladder 4-Foot Step Ladder FS1504 : Best for Outdoor Use
The Louisville Ladder 4-Feet Step Ladder FS1504 is a perfect addition to any home. Our testing team loved that this offering from Louisville Ladder looks more similar to a traditional ladder, rather than a step stool.
It has been meticulously crafted from fiberglass with a smooth and elegant design that is as light as it is functional.
We loved using the 4-Foot Step Ladder from Louisville to assist as we hung up holiday displays and lights.
4. Little Giant Flip-N-Lite : Most Versatile Step Ladder
The Little Giant Flip-N-Lite is an industrial-rated step ladder suitable for construction work or for simply reaching your favorite serving dish from the top cabinet. Our testing team was thrilled with the level of adaptability afforded by this ladder.
The steps are roomy enough to accommodate our testing team member that wear’s size 14’s as well as it did for our smaller footed ladies.
5. LivingSURE Folding Four-Step Ladder with Handrails 354173 : Safest Feeling Top Step
Unlike many of the other models we looked at, this step ladder feels stable and safe when standing at the very top step.
This feature may not seem that important, but if you have ever had to switch out a smoke alarm battery in the middle of the night on a rickety step ladder, you’ll understand.
6. LivingSURE 3-Step Handgrip Ladder Stool Combo 347701-4325 : Excellent Moderately Priced Choice
Each step also has been crafted with anti-slip treads to ensure your safety and stability further while in use.
The step ladder locks into place as another way to keep you from falling and sustaining a serious injury.
7. Rubbermaid 3-Step Ultra Light RM-SLA3-T : Best Lightweight Step Ladder
The Rubbermaid 3-Step Ultra-Light RM-SLA3-T is one of the lightest step ladders we had the pleasure of testing. This option clocks in at a mere eight pounds, which is extremely easy to lift and move. It also folds down for space saving storage when not in use.
This offering from Rubbermaid has been crafted from aluminum, so in addition to being super light, it is also extremely durable and sturdy.
8. Werner 150B Two Foot Ladder : Best for Keeping Woodland Creatures Out
Each step has been fitted with traction-tread to reduce the likelihood of slips. Our testing team members liked that this model looks like a smaller version of a traditional ladder.
9. Winsome Wood Antique Walnut Step Stool 94022 : Gorgeous Step Stool Option
This option has been created with both composite and solid wood before being treated with an Antique Walnut finish, giving it a sophisticated appearance.
10. Polder Mini 2-Step Stool 90401-91H : Great Bargain Price Option
The steps are large and have been covered with soft, rubber non-skid pads to ensure your safety during use.
The Polder Mini 2-Step Stool has a spring-loaded safety lock to keep the stool in position. Our testing team felt extremely safe on this small stool.
Best Step Ladders – Buyer’s Guide
A step ladder is the perfect tool to add to your current arsenal of helpful items. From assisting in minor repairs around the house or hanging up holiday decorations, a step ladder can be useful in a plethora of situations. They are also often safer to use as opposed to traditional ladders which aren’t very practical for daily use around the house.
Do I Really Need a Step Ladder?
If you already have a traditional ladder, you may wonder if you truly need to purchase a step ladder. A step ladder is a safer way to reach higher. Many come with special safety features, which we will explain in full a little later on.
Step ladders are also an economically sound decision as most cost just a fraction of an eight-foot ladder. They are made of lighter materials to allow smaller people or folks with mobility concerns to move and set them up easily. A step ladder also helps people of shorter stature be able to reach items at the very top of a closet or cabinet, making them a very useful and helpful item to have in your home, apartment, or business.
The Different Styles of Ladders
There is a range of styles to choose from when looking for the right step ladder for you and your needs. To gain a better understanding of the differences in step ladders and other ladders in general, let’s take a look at the full range of items available.
- Step Ladder: A step ladder is the most commonly used ladder across the board. The step ladder can support itself, so it won’t need to be propped up against a wall. You can use it in the middle of a room to help you swap out a lightbulb, in the kitchen to reach things, or outside. They are usually able to be folded down for space saving storage.
- Extension Ladder: An extension ladder is sometimes referred to as a straight ladder. They are tall and must be leaned up against a wall. These ladders consist of two main parts: a “base” piece that must be firmly situated on the ground and the “fly” which is movable to extend as far up as needed.
- Platform Ladder: Platform ladders are similar to step ladders. This option is a front step ladder with a larger platform on which to stand as you complete your tasks. They offer a much more comfortable standing experience for jobs that require standing on the ladder for long periods of time.
- Step Stool: Step stools are terrifically handy to have in any home or business. They consist of one step and fold down almost completely flat to slip in easily between your fridge and wall or any small area.
- Multi-purpose Ladder: Some ladders are able to serve several purposes. The ladder can be changed into different positions to help you complete a wider range of tasks or projects.
- Telescoping Ladder: A telescoping ladder has been designed to slide up and down through the use of overlapping pieces. These ladders can extend into an extension ladder or can also shrink down to a smaller, more compact version. They are also often lighter than traditional extension ladders.
- Folding Ladder: As the name suggests, folding ladders fold up when not in use to save space. This version is handy for around the house chores and has larger steps as opposed to the skinnier rungs on some ladders.
Step Ladder Safety
The safe and proper use of your new step ladder is just as important as finding the best version. Emergency rooms across the country see thousands of injuries related to falls from a ladder or from improper use. We care deeply about your safety, so here are some handy tips and tricks to stay safe as you use your new step ladder.
- Do as much work towards your project on the ground. Only use the ladder when it is necessary as the longer you are on it, the greater the risk for an injury or accidental fall.
- If your ladder is extendable, ensure that it is properly locked into the correct place. Use caution when locking the ladder into place. Some ladders have parts that can easily pinch or injure your skin by pinching or cutting you.
- Don’t carry heavy tools while on the ladder. If you need to use tools while on the ladder, find an option that has built-in tool holders or invest in a tool belt. Some step ladders also have built-in trays to help hold items which will allow you to focus on the task at hand, rather than losing your balance as you try to juggle tools.
- Maintain 3 points of contact while on the ladder. This includes your two feet and a hand, for example.
- Select a step ladder with handrails to steady yourself.
- A step ladder is meant to support just one person. Do not try to use it with more than one person.
- Always inspect your ladder before use. As with any item, they can age and become worn out. Check for cracks, missing or damaged portions, bent steps, or worn out rubber feet. If the ladder is compromised in any way, do not use it.
- Select a step ladder that locks into place. Some versions have spreader bars or stays that lock into place.
- Set up your step ladder on firm, even ground.
- You should be facing the step ladder while one it. Turning to the side or back can disrupt your center of gravity and lead to a fall.
- Position your step ladder as close as possible to your project. Move the step ladder as needed rather than reaching out further which can also increase the likelihood of an accident.
- Wear appropriate shoes. Bare feet or feet in socks can easily slip off the ladder.
- Work in a well-lit area free of clutter.
- Watch out for small children and pets. They can knock into the ladder which can lead to you falling off.
- Do not overload the ladder. Check before use for any weight limits.
- Fold your step ladder up and store it in a safe place. Children love to climb and play on step ladders, which is a recipe for disaster.
Finding the best step ladder or step stool for you and your needs can be a long process. With thousands of options, it can be difficult to ascertain which will work best. Keeping your intended uses and projects in mind will be extremely beneficial in aiding you to select the best step ladder.
We hope you enjoyed our top ten step ladder reviews and gained useful insight with our step ladder buyer’s guide. We love hearing from our readers. Drop us a quick note below with your step ladder tricks and tips.